Re: PoC: Make it possible to disallow WHERE-less UPDATE and DELETE

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PoC: Make it possible to disallow WHERE-less UPDATE and DELETE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 7/26/16 6:14 PM, Vik Fearing wrote:
>> As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, you can just do WHERE true to get
>> around it, so why on Earth have it PGC_SUSET?

> I'm not sure whether it's supposed to guard against typos and possibly
> buggy SQL string concatenation in application code.  So it would help
> against accidental mistakes, whereas putting a WHERE TRUE in there would
> be an intentional override.

Maybe I misunderstood Vik's point; I thought he was complaining that
it's silly to make this SUSET rather than USERSET.  I tend to agree.
We have a rough consensus that GUCs that change query semantics are
bad, but if it simply throws an error (or not) then it's not likely
to cause any surprising application behaviors.