Re: Updating database structure

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: Updating database structure
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Guido Neitzer wrote:
> I mostly use the command line tools or a graphical tool to make my  own
> sql calls for every schema change I make on the development  database.
>
> Then all these changes come to a "script" in my application (it's not
> actually a script but similar). The database has a version tag in one
> table. The application has a bunch of these "scripts" to convert from
> one version to another.  It knows the sequence in how they have to be
> applied by looking at the version numbers.

Looks like it could be useful to make the database 'log' the DDL
statements and having the ability to export those to a script starting
from a certain version.

It would probably still need user intervention, as sometimes experiments
and mistakes require fixing things - which would result in bogus or
non-optimal DDL statements in the log.

There's also sometimes the need to update data between statements, for
example when adding a new NOT NULL column to a table. Not sure what to
do in that case. Automating that would require some server side
'intelligence'...

Regards,

--
Alban Hertroys