Re: Enforcing serial uniqueness?

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: Enforcing serial uniqueness?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Csaba Nagy wrote:
>>That way they really can't touch the sequence; otherwise they still
>>could call nextval multiple times erroneously (people do that...). It
>>doesn't matter much to the sequence, of course... It just leaves the
>>ugly gaps out :P
>

> The sequence facility was NOT designed with no-gap sequencing in mind,
> but with good parallel performance in mind.

I didn't suggest anything of the kind. I was just suggesting a (IMO)
cleaner way to allow access to the sequence, so that the users of the
OP's database don't make too much of a mess of it. As I said, it won't
matter much to the sequence. It's just a matter of wanting to do things
the 'proper' way.

--
Alban Hertroys
alban@magproductions.nl