Re: Enforcing serial uniqueness?

От Csaba Nagy
Тема Re: Enforcing serial uniqueness?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> I didn't suggest anything of the kind. I was just suggesting a (IMO)
> cleaner way to allow access to the sequence, so that the users of the
> OP's database don't make too much of a mess of it. As I said, it won't
> matter much to the sequence. It's just a matter of wanting to do things
> the 'proper' way.

OK, my fault not reading the original post, but "sequences" and "no gap"
have some kind of emotional trigger for me cause they remind me the ID
mess I mentioned.

I still didn't read completely the OP, and I don't have time to do it
now, so the following might not apply: I guess the OP should stop using
user accessible sequence IDs anyway, and use letter-code aliases instead
if really needed. Those won't have any sequencing, can be made human
readable and are still easy to type. And the data base WILL become
corrupted sooner or later if the users have direct access to it.

Just my 2c,
Csaba.

Сообщение: Re: Enforcing serial uniqueness?
Сообщение: Re: Enforcing serial uniqueness?