Perspective: PostgreSQL usage boon after release of 8.2

От Ken Johanson
Тема Perspective: PostgreSQL usage boon after release of 8.2
Дата
Re: Perspective: PostgreSQL usage boon after release of 8.2  ("Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Just a quick thought, and an possibly over-optimistic forecast:

I think PG will see a really significant increase in usage, especially
'corporate' use, with the release of the version that has support for
(what I consider to be) one of the biggest features in recent memory:
standard iso/ansi string escaping.

In my experience this has been the biggest roadblock to adoption by
companies running a commercial database... it has made migration
difficult/daunting, especially for users who cannot rely on prepared
statement style APIs (complex dynamic queries, etc).

Most of the corp folks I know who have tried using PG to augment or
replacement a commercial offering just tend to silently pause and wait
for this change.. that why this topic isn't really heard very often.
It's like going to a car lot to buy a SUV, but they don't have any
within sight.. the perspective buyer just moves on without saying anything.

I'm am SOOO looking forward to hearing the beta announcement for 8.2...
hopefully that version's still on target for the standard string escape
option.. This *one* roadblock will be gone.