Re: Any conclusion on the Xeon context-switching issue?

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Any conclusion on the Xeon context-switching issue?
Дата
Re: Any conclusion on the Xeon context-switching issue?  ("Jeffrey W. Baker" <jwbaker@acm.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> writes:
>> Subject says it all really. I've got a new client who seems to be
>> suffering from it, and I'm not sure if any conclusion was reached.
>
> What's he using?  8.1 seems to have alleviated the problem somewhat,
> and I've done more work in CVS tip.  It'll never go away entirely,
> because these chips are just not very good at sharing memory, but
> we've certainly reduced it quite a bit from where it was in 7.x.

7.4.12 (.12 as of last week). I've seen context-switching peak at 80000
on a quad-Xeon that really shouldn't be straining.

An upgrade is possible, but obviously needs testing against. Would your
CVS changes be against 8.2-to-be or 8.1.x?

--  Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Сообщение: Re: Any conclusion on the Xeon context-switching issue?
Сообщение: Re: Any conclusion on the Xeon context-switching issue?