Re: fsync error handling in pg_receivewal, pg_recvlogical

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: fsync error handling in pg_receivewal, pg_recvlogical
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2019-03-29 14:05, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Yes, I think that we are going to need an equivalent of that for all
> frontend tools.  At various degrees, making sure that a fsync happens
> is also important for pg_dump, pg_basebackup, pg_rewind and
> pg_checksums so it is not only a problem of the two tools you mention.
> It seems to me that the most correct way to have those failures would
> be to use directly exit(EXIT_FAILURE) in file_utils.c where
> appropriate.

Yeah, there is more to do.  The reason I'm focusing on these two right
now is that they would typically run as a background service, and a
clean exit is most important there.  In the other cases, the program
runs more often in the foreground and you can see error messages.  There
are also some cases where fsync() failures are intentionally ignored
((void) casts), so some of that would need to be investigated further.

Here is a patch to get started.  Note that these calls don't go through
file_utils.c, so it's a separate issue anyway.

Вложения