Re: Deinstallation

От Andy Shellam
Тема Re: Deinstallation
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Moritz,

The only problem you'll have with regard to configuration issues, is
your local applications might try connecting using the 7.4 client
libraries as opposed to the 8.1, however if you didn't add a --prefix
option to your configure, it should overwrite the old libraries with the
new references (not sure if this is definitely true or not.)

All your Postgres configuration files will be inside your data directory
(created with initdb).  When upgrading from a major version (i.e. 7 to
8) you need to dump the contents of your database from the 7.4 server
FIRST using pg_dump BEFORE YOU KILL YOUR OLD SERVER - then when you're
up with 8.1, use pg_restore.  I found this out the hard way!!

It is always best to avoid version conflicts.  If I were you, I would do
the following:

1. With your 7.4 server running, dump your databases using pg_dump or
pg_dumpall
2. Kill your 7.4 server and take a backup of your data directory (e.g.
mv /path/to/pg_data /path/to/pg_data.OLD
3. Remove your PGSQL 8.1.3 install (cd into the source directory and do
'make uninstall')
4. Install Yum (download RPM for your linux distro from
http://rpmseek.com/rpm-pl/yum.html?hl=com&cs=yum:PN:0:0:0:0)
5. Use 'yum remove postgresql' to get rid of 7.4
6. Re-install your PGSQL 8.1.3 install (cd into the source directory and
do 'make install')
7. initdb a new data directory (DON'T use your old one) and configure
your 8.1 server
8. Start up your 8.1 server
9. Restore your dump using pg_restore
10. Configure user access in pg_hba.conf

The reason I've said to remove the PG 8.1.3 install first is that when
removing 7.4, it might inadvertently remove the 8.1.3 libraries as well
(if they've taken over the 7.4 ones.)

Note I've confirmed on Redhat Fedora the package is called "postgresql"
- which is v7.4.

Regards

Andy