Re: WAL recovery

От Andy Shellam
Тема Re: WAL recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Simon,

Many thanks for this suggestion - this sounds ideal actually.  My thoughts on this are, I would write a shell script that gets called for each file requested in the recovery.conf ...

a) If the log file requested exists, copy it and exit with 0 status
b) If the file doesn't exist, check if there is a "bring_online" flag file set in the log transfer area ...
... if so, exit with non-zero so the server can be bought online.
... if not, sleep for 5 or 10 minutes - within this time the next log may or may not have arrived
c) After 5 or 10 minutes, repeat at step b

So basically if I need the server bringing up, I can either manually touch bring_online in the log transfer folder and wait for the next 5/10 minute update, or have my monitoring system automatically touch that file when the connection to the primary database is broken, and switch the database server DNS to the standby server.

Sounds good!?!

Cheers for the idea Simon, now to get coding...!

Andy