Re: Pgfoundry and gborg: shut one down

От Russell Smith
Тема Re: Pgfoundry and gborg: shut one down
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>>Thomas Hallgren <thomas@tada.se> writes:

>>>I've repeatedly asked for help moving my PL/Java stuff over to pgfoundry and offered my help
>>>in the process,
>>
>>Indeed, we haven't made any particular effort to encourage gborg
>>projects to move.  I think it's a bit premature to hold a gun to
>>their heads.
>

> If we don't push folks, nothing will happen, which is what has happened
> for years now.  Let's set a date and tell people to move, or else.
> Keeping our stuff split like this is not helping us.

Slowly disabling things is also an option to encourage people to move,
while not ending up with a huge number of projects trying to move in the
same week.

Disabling the ability to create new accounts and projects will tell both
existing and new people that this is not the place to be going forward.  If you need a new developer or project, you
needto put in the effort

to move your project.

Disabling the ability to upload files will make people create a project
on PgFoundry when they make a new releases, putting more pressure on to
move across.

Even with the above two items changed, it would soon encourage people to
move, or at least create a project on PgFoundry and move there file
releases there.  CVS and mailing lists will need to be moved by admins,
but that process doesn't need to be done in a single day.  It creates
more operational overhead for each project in the short term, but that
will continue to push them to migrate.

Who are the people who can help move projects across and how can they be
contacted?  Maybe posting some news items on gborg about it would
encourage people.  Having the people who can help available to assist
people to move will mean that more projects are likely too.

I agree dates need to be made, not necessarily about the total shutdown,
but feature removal dates will mean people are much more likely to
"want" to move.

Regards

Russell Smith