Re: Use cases

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Use cases
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
In case you missed it:

In 8.2 the settings initdb makes as a default for shared_buffers and
max_fsm_pages will be significantly higher if the machine can stand it.
This should have some good performance impact on the "out of the box"
configuration.

Frankly - supplying more sample configs is likely to be fairly
fruitless. A much better thing would be a really good tuning tool that
would take stats and logs and other stuff from a running server and
suggest improvements (e.g. add an index on fields (foo,bar) on baz, try
doubling work_mem, increase stats buckets on blurfl  ...)

The "benchmark" referred to is so full of holes it's hard to know where
to start.

Database benchmarks are things that many years of study have gone into -
this sort of homegrown effort is rather like a backyard attempt to
construct a Maserati. The lack of any testing of concurrency is very
telling.

cheers

andrew