Re: Use cases

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Use cases
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 06:29:21PM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Frankly - supplying more sample configs is likely to be fairly
> fruitless. A much better thing would be a really good tuning tool that
> would take stats and logs and other stuff from a running server and
> suggest improvements (e.g. add an index on fields (foo,bar) on baz, try
> doubling work_mem, increase stats buckets on blurfl  ...)

I disagree. Many people have gotten used to the idea of having multiple
config files to choose from, thanks to MySQL.

> Database benchmarks are things that many years of study have gone into -
> this sort of homegrown effort is rather like a backyard attempt to
> construct a Maserati. The lack of any testing of concurrency is very
> telling.
True, but in this case the lack of any kind of a reasonable config was a
much bigger issue. Except for test 8, the numbers improved once he made
a few config tweaks that I suggested (see the email thread I posted
about a day or two ago for details).

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: psql & readline & win32
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: Backslashes in string literals