Re: Shared Database across multiple servers using OCFS2

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Shared Database across multiple servers using OCFS2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Kleynhans, Hendrik wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> : Are you:
> : 1. Looking to spread disk-accesses over several machines, or
> : 2. Looking to run multiple PostgreSQL server against the same
> : database?
> :
> : You might be ok with #1, but not #2.
>
> Thanks for the quick response.
>
> I am looking at #2, but I could not find anything from my searches.

PostgreSQL backend processes communicate using shared memory - if you
can't manage that between different machines then it won't work.

> If I am looking to access large amounts of data, such as in a data
> center, would it be better to run a/several database servers and
> accessing them across the network?

Difficult to say without more information. You'll need to know how much
data, what queries, how many at one time etc.

You might want to check the mailing-list archives (particularly the
performance list) and see if any other users have a similar setup to
that which you are planning.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd