Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Does this look ethical to you?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> I don't wan't to be bundled, I just want it to be known that there are
> alternatives available.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect the OSS project within the OSS
installer to mention commercial alternatives IF
they are shipping an already available OSS product.

What I mean is that the OSS Win32 Installer is shipping PgAdmin why
should they mention your product? If I were
to suggest that the Win32 Installer should mention Replicator there
would be an uproar, rightfully so.

> Postgresql is free, so what is the big deal about letting users know
> about alternative admin tools comercial or open source?  It's not like
> it would put pgAdmin or Postgresql out of business(it could only help).
PostgreSQL is free and the PostgreSQL.Org project does let people know
about other tools on the website.

> It's a shame you don't see how the bundling of pgAdmin(in the current
> way) is hurting the 3rd party community.

You are welcome to create your own Win32 Installer. I don't see it as
hurting the 3rd party community. I see it as helping the PostgreSQL
community.

> I don't see that as being detrimental to anyone and would certainly be
> in fair play.

Fair play? It could be argued that the fact that you don't open source
your product means that you don't believe in fair play. I don't
personally buy
that argument but I assure you it will be made if this thread continues.

The PostgreSQL community does a very good job of giving the commercial
counter parts their due.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

От: "Marc G. Fournier"
Сообщение: Re: Does this look ethical to you?
От: "George Pavlov"
Сообщение: Re: Quoted NULLs with COPY FROM (and pgAdmin export data options)