Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От Tony Caduto
Тема Re: Does this look ethical to you?
Дата
Re: Does this look ethical to you?  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
Magnus Hagander wrote:
  > We (pginstaller hat goes on) don't know of any competing products. We
> will be happy to consider bundling any competing product, including PG
> Lightning Admin. One of the most important things in order to be
> distributed as part of an open source product is that the parts are open
> source. If PGLA (or a lite version if necessary) is available under an
> OSS license, we'll definitly consider bundling it.
> (We have considered bundling phpPgAdmin, but haven't found a good way to
> do it without dragging in a huge load of dependencies)

I don't wan't to be bundled, I just want it to be known that there are
alternatives available.

Postgresql is free, so what is the big deal about letting users know
about alternative admin tools comercial or open source?  It's not like
it would put pgAdmin or Postgresql out of business(it could only help).

It's a shame you don't see how the bundling of pgAdmin(in the current
way) is hurting the 3rd party community.

All that would be needed is a installer section at the end saying
something like:
In addition to pgAdmin III there are other opensource and commercial
admin products available, you can get more information here <link back
to postgresql home page>.

I don't see that as being detrimental to anyone and would certainly be
in fair play.

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design