Re: Overriding the optimizer

От Christopher Kings-Lynne
Тема Re: Overriding the optimizer
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
>   > Right on. Some of these "coerced" plans may perform   > much better.
> If so, we can look at tweaking your runtime
>   > config: e.g.
>   >
>   > effective_cache_size
>   > random_page_cost
>   > default_statistics_target
>   >
>   > to see if said plans can be chosen "naturally".
>
> I see this over and over.  Tweak the parameters to "force" a certain
> plan, because there's no formal way for a developer to say, "I know the
> best plan."

No, this is "fixing your wrongn, inaccurate parameters so that
postgresql can choose a better plan".

I don't necessarily disagree with your assertion that we need planner
hints, but unless you or someone else is willing to submit a patch with
the feature it's unlikely to ever be implemented...

Chris