Re: Protecting application table structures and data

От David Pratt
Тема Re: Protecting application table structures and data
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Jim. Many thanks for your reply. I guess this is not so great news. I
am sort of at a loss as to what direction to take.  I need a db
connection on a couple of threads minimum in my app but also need to
ensure that the information is secure.

Regards
David

Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 05:01:47PM -0400, David Pratt wrote:
>
>>Hi. I am creating a desktop app and am interested in using postgres. I
>>started this app with sqlite3 which is nice but not multi-threaded so I
>>have run into its limitations.
>>
>>I want to install postgres on the users machine as part of the set up
>>but want the application, if possible, to be the db admin for the
>>installed pg server. Is this possible?
>>
>>I am hoping the application can be admin and create the tables and give
>>the machine's user appropriate access without providing direct access to
>>admin functions.
>

> You can do this, but remember that anyone who has access to the account
> postgresql is running under is going to be able to do pretty much
> anything they want. And anyone with administrative access to the machine
> will be able to get access to that account.
>

>>Alternatively, is there a way to protect the data structures and data
>>through encryption to secure the structures and data in a way that
>>cannot be read by a human? Many thanks.
>

> No, there isn't. In fact, I think only Oracle has that capability,
> though I could be mistaken.

Сообщение: Re: Protecting application table structures and data
Сообщение: Re: Protecting application table structures and data