Re: memory issues when running with mod_perl

От Jonathan Vanasco
Тема Re: memory issues when running with mod_perl
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Oct 1, 2006, at 11:56 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> OK, that kills the theory that the leak is triggered by subprocess
> exit.
> Another thing that would be worth trying is to just stop and start the
> postmaster a large number of times, to see if the leak occurs at
> postmaster exit.

On FreeBSD I'm not seeing any leak on subprocesses exit.   Multiple
psql clients just consume memory - often shared - then toss it back
nicely.  The consumed memory / available memory does grow - but its
all allocated for, and within expected constraints.

I believe, however, I'm seeing a leak on postmaster exit.

Can someone suggest to me a SQL query I can loop a few thousand times
to drive up shared memory use?  Basically, to test I'd like to do
something like what was suggested in the archived osx thread:

    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2004-08/msg00972.php
    ====
    while true
    do
        psql -c "select count(*) from tenk1" regression
    done
    ====

except instead of relying on a leak to increase memory, I'd like a
rather intensive large function with a dataset to consumer massive
amounts of ram.  I just can't think of any function to do that.