Re: 'a' == 'a ' (Was: RE: [pgsql-advocacy] [GENERAL] Oracle buysInnobase)

От Rick Morris
Тема Re: 'a' == 'a ' (Was: RE: [pgsql-advocacy] [GENERAL] Oracle buysInnobase)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Richard Huxton wrote:
> Dann Corbit wrote:
>

>> I can see plenty of harm and absolutely no return.  We are talking about
>> blank padding before comparison.  Do you really want 'Danniel '
>> considered distinct from 'Danniel  ' in a comparison?  In real life,
>> what does that buy you?
>

> 100% YES!
>
> If two values are the same, then any function on those two values should
> return the same result. Otherwise what does "equals" mean? At the very
> least length() is broken by your argument.

I agree completely. I would much rather be precise than intuitive. And,
I have done applications where the padding length was important,
especially when working with remote batch processing in the credit
industries and the like. Writing queries to create and process
fixed-width batch files is much easier if you can rely on these kinds of
behaviors.