Re: 'a' == 'a ' (Was: RE: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buysInnobase)

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: 'a' == 'a ' (Was: RE: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buysInnobase)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Dann Corbit wrote:

> I can see plenty of harm and absolutely no return.  We are talking about
> blank padding before comparison.  Do you really want 'Danniel '
> considered distinct from 'Danniel  ' in a comparison?  In real life,
> what does that buy you?

100% YES!

If two values are the same, then any function on those two values should
return the same result. Otherwise what does "equals" mean? At the very
least length() is broken by your argument.

Here it's CHAR that's broken IMHO - spawn of some punch-card spawned
data processing rules of the 70s.
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd