Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Johan Wehtje wrote:

> I doubt you read the rest of the post otherwise I don't think you
> would make that comment.

Personlly I think you were right. Access is a good front end, at least
in the sense that it is a hell of a lot better
than anything the OSS community has bothered to come up with. I actually
Paradox is a better choice :).

It is also a front-end that customers are comfortable with.

> I think there really is a need for a rich DB client that allows Rapid
> development and is easy to link to an office Suite. To be useful to a
> business a database needs the applications built on top of it, and
> like I said if someone can show me a quicker way of doing this than
> Access and still lets me use Postgresql for my backend without any
> great drama, I would love to hear of it. My experience with Access
> 2000 and the latest ODBC drivers has been very positive, but I am wary
> of Microsoft's intentions for Access going forward, which I why I
> asked if anyone knew of a really viable alternative that I have not
> tried.

FYI Open Office 2.0 database, forms, reports etc... is MUCH better than
it was. I believe you can script it as well in Python and maybe Java.

> The next best thing that I have tried is Delphi with some of the
> libraries available from Sqlmanager or Active Query builder.

You can use Kylix for that but I don't know its status.