Re: Monitoring database for changes - backup purposes

От Chris Jewell
Тема Re: Monitoring database for changes - backup purposes
Дата
Re: Monitoring database for changes - backup purposes  (sualeh.fatehi@gmail.com)
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

Yes, diff would work and is my current plan, but it requires me to
perform the backup first.  What I needed really was a system by which a
backup would only be run if there was something that needed backing up.

Thanks anyway,

Chris

--
Chris Jewell, BSc(Hons), BVSc, MRCVS
Dept of Maths and Statistics

Darcy Buskermolen wrote:

>On Friday 14 October 2005 06:19, Chris Jewell wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I have a query about a backup policy that I wish to implement.
>>Currently, we are running a PostgreSQL server with a very large database
>>on it.  The database consists of a core of read-only tables, with tables
>>created by the users going by default into the user's own schemas.  For
>>backup purposes, I have a script that uses pg_dump to create dumps of
>>the individual user schemas.  However, this is mainly a read-only
>>database and information is added or updated only rarely.  What I really
>>need is a method of monitoring the database, such that my backup script
>>will only back any one schema up if it has changed since it was last
>>backed up.  Is there any way to do this?  Is there a checksum function
>>or something that I could use?
>>

>No there is not, but would a diff -q be sufficient for your needs ?
>

>>Thanks,
>>
>>Chris

Сообщение: Re: Monitoring database for changes - backup purposes
Сообщение: Re: Monitoring database for changes - backup purposes