Re: Debug plpgSQL stored procedures

От Daniel Morgan
Тема Re: Debug plpgSQL stored procedures
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Richard Huxton wrote:

> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>
>> Does PostgreSQL provide a way to step-debug into plpgSQL stored
>> procedures?

It is a shame.  PostgreSQL is really rocking these days.  Especially
with 8.0 on Windows.  I was really impressed how far it has come since
the 6.x days running on Cygwin.

> Afraid not. One of the commercial versions of PG offered it as a
> feature IIRC, but I could be wrong, and if so it was some time ago.

Can you remember the name of this company?

>> If yes, how do you do debug the stored procedures? Can it be done via
>> any interface: jdbc, odbc, .net, etc.?
>>
>> If no, is there any plans to provide debugging support of plpgSQL
>> stored procedures?
>

> Not afaik - there's plenty of interest, but no-one with enough time
> and knowledge I think.
>
>> I do request, if you there is plans to add debugging support, make it
>> easy enough for various interfaces to use it: jdbc, odbc, .net, etc...
>

> That might be tricky as a general case, since I'm not sure all of them
> offer a suitable out-of-band channel that could be used to send the
> relevant control/debug data. You could always make it part of the SQL
> interface, I suppose that would automatically give you cross-client
> support.

Could the out-of-bound channel be solved by requiring at least more than
one connection to the database?  One connection that acts like a
controller that executes debug commands and can respond to the results
while a second connection would be the connection that actually steps
through the plpgSQL code?  Special SQL commands may need to be created,
such as, hook this connection to another connection.

What do you think?

От: Poul Møller Hansen
Сообщение: Re: Setting up a database for 10000 concurrent users
От: Keary Suska
Сообщение: Bug or ?