Re: Setting up a database for 10000 concurrent users

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Setting up a database for 10000 concurrent users
Дата
Re: Setting up a database for 10000 concurrent users  (Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh@pop.jaring.my>)
Список pgsql-general
Poul Møller Hansen wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a database for 10000 concurrent users for a test.
> I have a system with 1GB of RAM where I will use 512MB for PostgreSQL.
> It is running SuSE 9.3

I think you're being horribly optimistic if you actually want 10000
concurrent connections, with users all doing things. Even if you only
allow 1MB for each connection that's 10GB of RAM you'd want. Plus a big
chunk more to actually cache your database files and do work in. Then,
if you had 10,000 concurrent queries you'd probably want a mainframe to
handle all the concurrency, or perhaps a 64-CPU box would suffice...

You probably want to investigate connection pooling, but if you say what
you want to achieve then people will be able to suggest the best approach.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd