Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

От Nicholas Walker
Тема Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Rod Taylor wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 19:13 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>

>>Bruce, on May 17, 2004, you wrote:
>>

>>>So, yea, I am frustrated.  I know these features are hard and complex,
>>>but I want them for PostgreSQL, and I want them as soon as possible.  I
>>>guess what really bugs me is that we are so close to having these few
>>>remaining big features, and because they are so complex, they are taking
>>>a lot longer to arrive than previous features, and sometimes see a year
>>>pass without progress on some items, and that bugs me.
>>>

>>This discussion was taking place as we closed the 7.5 development cycle,
>>and we weren't getting PITR, tablespaces, nested transactions, 2PC, the
>>Win32 port, in the release.  We have all those things now.
>>
>>We have gone a long way now, even though it was only a year ago.  My
>>question for everyone on this list is:  What are the "few remaining big
>>features" that you see missing for PostgreSQL?
>>
>>Or, slightly different, what are people's most wanted features?
>>

>I have an immediate use for:
>      * Identity/generator support (per standard)
>      * Merge (update/insert as required)
>      * Multi-CPU sorts. Take a large single sort like an index creation
>        and split the work among multiple CPUs.

I am just a novice end user, but I would like to see:   SavePoints be able to use within functions.  ( I think this
involves

making procedures that execute outside of a transaction)   Cross Database references.  (Available through dblink, but
itwould

be better if it was supported natively)   The ability to say create function foo () returns setof record(int,
int , int).  I believe this is coming in the next release though.

От: Christopher Kings-Lynne
Сообщение: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
От: Mike Mascari
Сообщение: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion