Re: beginning hackers

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: beginning hackers
Дата
Re: beginning hackers  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>)
Re: beginning hackers  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers

Rosser Schwarz wrote:

>while you weren't looking, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>[indexes spanning multiple tables]
>

>>Wouldn't recommend it as a project for a beginning backend hacker;
>>the locking considerations alone are a bit daunting.
>>

>That being the case, is there a list anywhere of open/wish list/TODO
>items that are suitable for beginning pg hackers?  I've been over the
>TODO list and found myself fairly daunted by what I see, but would
>still like to take a stab at contributing.

A couple of nice visible projects on the TODO list that might be
suitable for beginners:

. Add "include file" functionality in postgresql.conf
. Remove Money type, add money formatting for decimal type

But actually, the best place to start is possibly doing cleanups.

For example, gcc version 4 generates LOTS of compiler warnings. They
need clearing up. Doing that might lead to yuo look at quite a lot of
interesting code, which in turn might lead to more projects.

Plus there are always tests and docs to write ;-)

cheers

andrew