limit number of concurrent callers to a stored proc?

Hello all,

is there a simple way to limit the number of concurrent callers to a
stored proc?

The problem we have is about 50 clients come and perform the same
operation at nearly the same time.  Typically, this query takes a few
seconds to run, but in the case of this thundering herd the query time
drops to 70 seconds or much more.  The query can return up to 15MB of data.

The machine is a dual opteron, 8 GB memory, lots of fiber channel disk,
Linux 2.6, etc.

So, I'm thinking that a semaphore than will block more than N clients
from being in the core of the function at one time would be a good thing.

Thanks!

-- Alan