Re: Postgres 8.0 windows processes, field testing, and

От Joe
Тема Re: Postgres 8.0 windows processes, field testing, and
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Richard Huxton wrote:

 > You will have (assuming the same as on *nix):
 > 1. Master process - starts all the others
 > 2. One backend per client
 > 3. Stats buffer/collector
 > 4. Auto-vacuum (optional, not really part of the main system yet)

It appears that, when started as a Windows service, four backend processes
(postgres.exe) are started even though there are no clients yet.  Is this simply
to avoid backend process creation time for the first few clients?  Out of
curiosity, is this approach also used on *nix?

A pg_ctl.exe is also running. I presume that is the one that starts the
postmaster and then sits and waits for a signal to shutdown the service?

Joe