Re: Postgres 8.0 windows processes, field testing, and

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Postgres 8.0 windows processes, field testing, and
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 04:00:36PM -0400, Joe wrote:
> Richard Huxton wrote:
>
> > You will have (assuming the same as on *nix):
> > 1. Master process - starts all the others
> > 2. One backend per client
> > 3. Stats buffer/collector
> > 4. Auto-vacuum (optional, not really part of the main system yet)
>

> It appears that, when started as a Windows service, four backend processes
> (postgres.exe) are started even though there are no clients yet.

They likely belong to the stats collector process, the stats buffer
process, the background writer process, and one postmaster to rule them
all.  They are all launched from the same postgres.exe executable.

> Is this simply to avoid backend process creation time for the first
> few clients?

No, we don't do that.

> Out of curiosity, is this approach also used on *nix?

Yes.

> A pg_ctl.exe is also running. I presume that is the one that starts the
> postmaster and then sits and waits for a signal to shutdown the service?

Probably.

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]surnet.cl>)
Jude: I wish humans laid eggs