Re: commit_delay, siblings

От Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Тема Re: commit_delay, siblings
Дата
Re: commit_delay, siblings  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>
>>I've been trying to get a test result for 8.1 that shows that we can eliminate
>>commit_delay and commit_siblings, as I believe that these settings no longer
>>have any real effect on performance.
>

> I don't think they ever did :-(.  The theory is good, but useful values
> for commit_delay would probably be under a millisecond, and there isn't
> any portable way to sleep for such short periods.  We've been leaving
> them there just in case somebody can find a use for 'em, but I wouldn't
> object to taking them out.
>
>             regards, tom lane

We have done extensive testing some time ago.
We could not see any difference on any platform we have tested (AIX,
Linux, Solaris). I don't think that there is one at all - at least not
on common systems.
best regards,
    hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria