Re: Autovacuum in the backend

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Autovacuum in the backend
Дата
Re: Autovacuum in the backend  (Russell Smith <mr-russ@pws.com.au>)
Re: Autovacuum in the backend  ("Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net>)
Re: Autovacuum in the backend  (Rod Taylor <pg@rbt.ca>)
Re: Autovacuum in the backend  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Just my own two cents. First I am not knocking the work that has been
>> on autovacuum. I am sure that it was a leap on its own to get it to
>> work. However I will say that I just don't see the reason for it.
>

> The major reasons for autovacuum as I see it are as follows:
>
> * Reduces administrative overhead having to keep track of what tables
> need to be vacuumed how often.

Creates more overhead and thus reduces performance.

> * Reduces the total amount of time the system spends vacuuming since it
> only vacuums when needed.

Can be easily done with cron.

> * Keeps stats up-to-date automatically

Which can be done with cron

> * Eliminates newbie confusion

RTFM

> * Eliminates one of the criticisms that the public has against
> PostgreSQL (justifed or not)

Agreed.

Just so everyone knows from the get go here. I am purposely playing a
little devils advocate. Autovacuum has some drawbacks. I think we should
be **publicly** aware of them before we pursue integration.

Heaven knows it would make my life easier if it was integrated but anyway...

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Also, as VACUUM improves, autovacuum will improve with it.

Сообщение: Re: Autovacuum in the backend
Сообщение: Re: Autovacuum in the backend