Re: Autovacuum in the backend

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Autovacuum in the backend
Дата
Re: Autovacuum in the backend  ("Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> The big leap will be to get it in the backend, which will as Chris KL suggested stop people shooting themselves in
thefoot.

> I'm not sure what strict rules are imposed by Feature freeze, but there may be time for others to make some
improvementsbefore 8.1.

> We have also looked at this for at least 2 releases now.  If it doesn't get in now, it will just get in for 8.2 and
noimprovements till 8.2.

Just my own two cents. First I am not knocking the work that has been on
autovacuum. I am sure that it was a leap on its own to get it to work.
However I will say that I just don't see the reason for it.

Vacuum especially in the 8.x series isn't that bad. Heck if you actually
manage your catalog even on large databases it can be reasonable. Yes
it takes a little **gasp** administrative maintenance to run vacuum at
just that right time, on just those right tables but...

Anyway -- it seems it may be beneficial to focus the efforts somewhere
else. The only reason I wanted to know if it was going to be in the
backend last week was because I needed to know if I was going to have
to document in the new book.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Regards
>
> Russell Smith

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Сообщение: Re: Autovacuum in the backend
Сообщение: Re: Autovacuum in the backend