Re: Postgres PHP error

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Postgres PHP error
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Shaun Clements wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Im receiving the following error, on a php page, conneting to postgres 7.4,
> installed on Mandrake 10.0
> <snip>
> Error Description: pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server:
> FATAL: sorry, too many clients already .
> </snip>
> Can anyone tell me what this means?

It means exactly what it says - too many clients.

> Is there a performance setting I need to set under the postgresql conf file.
> I have checked, and its set to 100 users.
> This error strangely has only happened once. Last week Monday.

Well - you probably had 100 connections then (actually, 100 - your
superuser reserved connections, default=2).

There are two possibilities:
  1. You had 100 users last Monday
  2. You are using more than one connection per user.

The second is the most likely. Turn connection logging on and try with a
couple of users to see how many connections you generate as you use the
site.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd