Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)
Дата
Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)  (Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> discuss it, and contribute to resolving it. More often than not, a
> web-based interface like Bugzilla leads to a single "bug master", who
> does most of this work by themselves. Besides the fact we don't have
> such a person, it would also mean that knowledge of bugs/patches and the
> discussion about resolving issues is distributed among a smaller pool of
> people.

I can only speak for RT but with RT you can easily avoid this. For
example you can set it up so that anything that would go to
patches@postgresql.org would automatically create a ticket an alert all
people within the patches group.

Multiple people can be assigned to a ticket as a maintainer or just a
watcher.

You can even respond to specific messages within the thread instead of
just a top down (one email after the other).

> There is definitely room for improvement; submitted patches do
> occasionally fall through the cracks, for example. I would personally be
> interested in a "bug-tracking system" that is closer to a shared email
> archive.

That would be another nice part of RT. RT automatically deals with
attachments and although I wouldn't use it for this you could even use
it as a semi patch repository until the patch is actually approved for
submission.

> issues, searching through issues, etc. But the point is that the current
> system works well;

Well does it though? I am not saying it is bad, well yes I am ;). There
is no central place for me to point one of my developers and say -- Hey,
look at this patch... weren't we working on something like this? Let's
help them out.

I have to have the dig through the mail archives which is fairly counter
productive. It would be much better to be able to say, hey... look at
patch #42345. What do you think?

> I'm not sure which existing systems fit this model (suggestions are
> welcome) -- email needs to be the primary interface, not an afterthought
> (as is often the case). Perhaps RT would work, I'm not sure.

RT supports complete email integration. Most of the interaction I do
with it is actually through email not through the web interface. It also
has the ability to have a knowledge base dropped right on top of it.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake