Re: ok you all win what is best opteron (I dont want a

От William Yu
Тема Re: ok you all win what is best opteron (I dont want a
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
I say most apps because it's true. :) I would suggest that pretty much
every app (other than video/audio streaming) people think are
bandwidth-limited are actually latency-limited. Take the SpecFoo tests.
Sure I would have rather seen SAP/TPC/etc that would be more relevant to
Postgres but there aren't any apples-to-apples comparisons available
yet. But there's something to consider here. What people in the past
have believed is that memory bandwidth is the key to Spec numbers --
SpecFP isn't a test of floating point performance, it's a test of memory
bandwidth. Or is it? Numbers for DC Opterons show lower latency/lower
bandwith beating higher latency/higher bandwidth in what was supposedly
bandwidth limited. What may actually be happening is extra bandwidth
isn't actually used directly by the app itself -- instead the CPU uses
it for prefetching to hide latency.

Scrounging around for more numbers, I've found benchmarks at Anandtech
that relate better to Postgres. He has a "Order Entry" OLTP app running
on MS-SQL. 1xDC beats 2x1 -- 2xDC beats 4x1.

order entry reads
2x248 - 235113
1x175 - 257192
4x848 - 360014