Re: Many idle processes?

От DHS Club Webmaster
Тема Re: Many idle processes?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Joel Fradkin wrote:
> I just went live yesterday and I can see many idle processes on my
> redhat AS4 running postgres 8.0.2
>
> Is this something I should be worried about?
>
> Being a newb to Linux and somewhat to postgres I need to add the vacuum
> and backup scenario.
>
> Josh from Commandpromt gave me some syntax, so I am wondering about how
> often I should vacuum ?
>
> An example of cron setting would be perfect.
>
> I may run the backup from a different server.
>

> Also I am experiencing an issue with French text not appearing correctly
> on the web site.
>
> We did not have this issue in testing and even now when we hook up to a
> test server locally (running windows) the French text appears ok in a
> test of our app running on a desk top.
>

> In production I have windows 2000 for my IIS server and the Linux box
> for Data. Any ideas how to fix up my French the database itself is
> SQL_ASCHII.
>

> Joel Fradkin
>

> Wazagua, Inc.
> 2520 Trailmate Dr
> Sarasota, Florida 34243
> Tel.  941-753-7111 ext 305
>

> jfradkin@wazagua.com <mailto:jfradkin@wazagua.com>
> www.wazagua.com <http://www.wazagua.com>
> Powered by Wazagua
> Providing you with the latest Web-based technology & advanced tools.
> © 2004. WAZAGUA, Inc. All rights reserved. WAZAGUA, Inc
>  This email message is for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may
> contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
> review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not
> the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
> delete and destroy all copies of the original message, including
> attachments.

Joel, the 'idle' processes are probably a result of your web server 'caching' them for reuse. This should not present a
problem.Although, we use linux apache for our web server, we have it configured to 'cache' connections for quick reuse.
Aslong as your max connections setting in postgres is high enough, you won't experience any trouble.

As far as your french, I'm guessing that either the data has been stored in the DB as unicode and is being rendered as
iso-8859or vice-versa. The test server is probably sending a different http header than the live server which would
accountfor the difference in what the browser is representing. If you are seeing odd character doubling where there
shouldbe an accented character, then the data is stored as utf-8, but the http header says it is something other than
utf-8.If you are seeing a '?' where there should be an accented character, then it is probably stored as plain ascii
butthe http header says it is supposed to be utf-8.

--
Bill MacArthur
Webmaster

От: Adam M
Сообщение: Re: Cannot verify signature of win32 8.0.3 distribution.
От: Adam M
Сообщение: Cannot verify signature of win32 8.0.3 distribution.