Re: Problem connecting from Windows 9x/Me

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Problem connecting from Windows 9x/Me
Дата
Список pgsql-odbc
Harry Sufehmi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for the ODBC driver, it has enabled us to access the
> PostgreSQL server from our Windows 2000 & XP machine.
> However, people on Windows 9x/Me machines are having problems.
>
> Basically, everytime they open the MS Access application, the
> application failed with the following error message:
> "ODBC -- connection to 'pgsql_sir' failed."
>
> There's a workaround for this - if we create a new table link to the
> PostgreSQL database, then afterwards everything works fine. I have no
> idea why it solves the problem (temporarily), but there you go.
>
> But of course this can not be / not feasible to be done by the users
> everytime they start up the application, so I hope somebody can help us
> to solve this problem.

Hmm - not seen this particular problem. I'd suspect a problem with
name-lookup though - I've seen that cause strange problems with Access
and linked tables/connections.

Might be worth trying:
  1. Connect using the IP address of the server, not it's name
  2. Add the server's IP and name to the HOSTS/LMHOSTS file(s)
There are details on step 2 on the web - just google.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd