Re: BUG #1610: rewrite rule and sequence

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: BUG #1610: rewrite rule and sequence
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Olleg Samoylov wrote:

> Bug reference:      1610
> Logged by:          Olleg Samoylov
> Email address:      olleg@mipt.ru
> PostgreSQL version: 7.4.7
> Operating system:   Linux debian-amd64
> Details:
>
> Rule on view can't insert in table with "serial" field under not owner. Need
> grant privilege on sequence explicitly.

That's not a bug, it's a feature (as they say).

Although you can automatically generate sequences with the serial pseudo
-type, they are separate objects. Not only can you create them
separately from a table, you can have many columns using
nextval('my_sequence') as their default.

I suppose you could argue that a sequence only used by one table could
inherit that table's permissions by default, but I can see problems when
people reorder GRANT statements.

HTH
--
   Richard Huxton