Re: Suggestion on Backup

От Gabriele Bartolini
Тема Re: Suggestion on Backup
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
 Hi Jen,

 On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 21:09:50 +0000, Jeni Fifrick <jfifrick@incomm.com>
 wrote:
> We're having Master & Slave Postgres 9.1.3 on CentOS - using
> Streaming Replication, which serve as a read-only database, and as
> 'backup' for the production database.

 Sure.

> I'm trying to setup a process that can be used to have the continuous
> backup of the production, to make sure if some problems happen on the
> production server, we won't loss the data.

 It is important that you understand though that such an architecture
 (with just replication) won't completely protect you from disasters
 happening on the master. I am referring to data loss caused by
 undeliberate DELETE or DROP operations, for example, or SQL injections.
 Especially if you have a streaming replicated standby, data that
 disappears on the master will disappear from the standby immediately
 after.

 Physical backup and continuous archiving will add this kind of
 protection to your system. Using 9.1 unfortunately you can't benefit
 from cascading replication using the streaming protocol (introduced in
 9.2), however you can look into the pg_basebackup utility for this
 purpose.

 Otherwise, there are tools out there that help you achieving these
 goals, such as OmniPITR (https://github.com/omniti-labs/omnipitr),
 pg-rman (http://code.google.com/p/pg-rman/), WAL-E
 (https://github.com/heroku/WAL-E, mainly for Amazon AWS users) and
 barman (http://www.pgbarman.org/) - to name a few.

 Being one of the developers, I can definitely recommend Barman. It does
 not yet support streaming replication, but usually with WAL file
 shipping you can still achieve very good results in terms of Recovery
 Point Objective (which measures data loss). It is very easy to setup,
 and already has packages for CentOS.

 I hope this helps.

 Cheers,
 Gabriele