Re: PostgreSQL support

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: PostgreSQL support
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Walker, Jed S wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am an experienced Oracle DBA and I am now working on building a PostgreSQL
>database for a project. Part of the lure for this was the no-cost licensing
>as we'll possibly be putting instances of this new system into many local
>sites. At this time we are planning to build little logic into the database.
>I will initially do hot backups on it, and will likely want to create a
>standby cluster (using WAL logs) for high availability.

You can use PITR, Mammoth Replicator or Slony for all of this.

>I'd like to know your opinions on support for PostgreSQL.
>1. Do you think I should purchase commercial support (at least for the
>initial development and release)?

Well I am biased because I lead one of the support companies but
I think it really depends on your needs.

Command Prompt (my company) provides everything from incident
based support all the way up to full support and development
contracts.

Our incident based support is even available 24x7. Thus you
can use us only when you need us.

>2. Do you have recommendations on what companies are good and a good value?

:)

>3. Opinions on pay-per-incident vs. support agreements (am I likely to have
>many issues I'll need support on - see my intro)?

Again this depends on your needs. Incidents are great if you
are only going to need a company a couple of times a year.
If you find that you are using them as a Tier 3 every month
for 5-10 hours then a support agreement may save you some money.

>4. Any other tips you can give me on having support for this project?

There are several good companies out there. Don't be afraid
to ask for references.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
Command Prompt, Inc.
503-667-4564

>Your input would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>

>        Jed S. Walker

Вложения

От: tony
Сообщение: Re: OSX, ODBC and Office 2004
От: Sergey Levchenko
Сообщение: postgresql unicode lower/upper problem