Re: What's better: Raid 0 or disk for seperate pg_xlog

От David Brown
Тема Re: What's better: Raid 0 or disk for seperate pg_xlog
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Karim Nassar wrote:

>Context: I have a two disk server that is about to become dedicated to
>postgresql (it's a sun v40z running gentoo linux).
>
>What's "theoretically better"?
>
>1) OS and pg_xlog on one disk, rest of postgresql on the other? (if I
>   understand the above correctly)
>2) Everything striped Raid 0?

How lucky are you feeling? If you don't mind doubling your chances of
data loss (a bit worse than that because recovery is nearly impossible),
go ahead and use RAID 0 (which of course is not RAID by definition).

The WAL on a separate disk is your best bet if the problem is slow updates.

If prevention of data loss is a consideration, RAID 1 (mirroring) is the
answer.

От: Karim Nassar
Сообщение: What's better: Raid 0 or disk for seperate pg_xlog
От: John A Meinel
Сообщение: Re: What's better: Raid 0 or disk for seperate pg_xlog