What's better: Raid 0 or disk for seperate pg_xlog

От Karim Nassar
Тема What's better: Raid 0 or disk for seperate pg_xlog
Дата
Re: What's better: Raid 0 or disk for seperate pg_xlog  (John A Meinel <john@arbash-meinel.com>)
Re: What's better: Raid 0 or disk for seperate pg_xlog  (Mario Weilguni <mweilguni@sime.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
From rom http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList/

"even in a two-disk server, you can put the transaction log onto the
operating system disk and reap some benefits."

Context: I have a two disk server that is about to become dedicated to
postgresql (it's a sun v40z running gentoo linux).

What's "theoretically better"?

1) OS and pg_xlog on one disk, rest of postgresql on the other? (if I
   understand the above correctly)
2) Everything striped Raid 0?
3) <some answer from someone smarter than me>

TIA,
--
Karim Nassar
Department of Computer Science