Postgresql UPDATE LOCKS unrelated rows.

От Ravi T Ramachandra
Тема Postgresql UPDATE LOCKS unrelated rows.
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

We are using postgresql 7.3.2 on lunux platform.   We performed locking test as follows via JDBC:

Started 2 concurrent transaction with autocommit false and isolation READ_COMMITTED :

Transaction 1:
===========
Update row 1
Sleep for 30 seconds
commit:

Transaction 2:
Updated row 10000
commit

The second update had to wait for the first update operation to finish. We also made sure that the 2 unrelated rows are not on the same page.

Is this expected behavior ?
Does update lock the whole table ?

Regards,
Ravi

'privileged' and 'confidential' and intended for use only by the individualor entity to which it is addressed. You are notified that any use, copying
whatsoever is strictly prohibited.