Re:

От Aly Dharshi
Тема Re:
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
>   1.  How do I programmatically call backup (pg_dump) and vacuum?  I am
> using .NET provider as the interface to the postgreSql.  I didn't see
> any provision in the .Net provider to invoke these commands.  Does
> postgresql support SQL's "BACKUP" and "RESTORE" commands?

    Why not use the AT scheduler to just to a dump for you ? If you do this every
night then that should solve most backup related problems. I think that VACCUM
can be from psql. Check the docs for that one, it should be available.

>   2.  As part of installation I would like to create and populate a new
> database.  What is the easiest way to this?  What I am thinking of doing
> is to install psql client program and using it to create database.  Is
> there any way I don't have to install psql on every client's machine?

    Fastest way is to use the createdb command, so find that one and see if you can
execute that on the database server, this should allow you to create the
database. Someone mentioned PGAdmin III that is a good tool, but make sure that
you can use the command line utilities first.

    Cheers,

    Aly.

--
Aly Dharshi
aly.dharshi@telus.net

     "A good speech is like a good dress
      that's short enough to be interesting
      and long enough to cover the subject"

Сообщение: Re: generating dynamic queries using pl/pgsql
Сообщение: Re: generating dynamic queries using pl/pgsql