Re: Inappropriate changes to front page text [Was: Re:

От Justin Clift
Тема Re: Inappropriate changes to front page text [Was: Re:
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Emily Boyd wrote:
<snip>
> Having *The PostgreSQL Global Development Group* saying "Merry
> Christmas" to the international PostgreSQL community may be interpreted
> as culturally insensitive, as it implies that the *entire* PostgreSQL
> Global Development Group has this particular belief (which from a quick
> glance at the locations and backgrounds of developers, seems unlikely),
> and that *everyone* in the PostgreSQL community celebrates Christmas.

Hmmm.  It's more likely to be taken as a sign that members of the
PostgreSQL Global Development Group are culturally *sensitive* and will
do what we can for making the world a nicer place to live in.

> Sure, maybe only a minority will be offended, but is it worth the risk
> with such a diverse, international community?

Yes.  It's one of those "damned if you do, and damned if you don't"
things, so lets just pick the one that makes the world a bit nicer.

> There's an easy fix for this: change it to "Happy Holidays" and remove
> the references to Christmas. Google uses this phrasing, as do many
> organisations who don't want to risk offending anyone. While it may be
> simple to fix, the issue is that the content seems to have been written
> with little consideration of its implications.

"Happy Holidays" also has the advantage of not needing an update for the
New Year too.  :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
"One who sees the invisible can do the impossible."
  + Frank Gaines

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Inappropriate changes to front page text [Was: Re:
Сообщение: Re: Inappropriate changes to front page text [Was: Re: