Re: PostGreSQL upgrade failed (Debian Packages), need advice...

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: PostGreSQL upgrade failed (Debian Packages), need advice...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Eric D Nielsen wrote:

>I recently tried to upgrade from the 7.2.1 PostGreSQL package on Debian Stable
>to the 7.4.6 PostGreSQL package on Debian Testing.  The automatic update
>failed, message included below.  The documentation for manual upgrades
>references a script which does not appear to exist (postgresql-dump) in the
>postgres/dumpall/7.2/ directoty.
>
>Can anyone advise me of how to proceed?  I would prefer to stick with the
>Debian
>packages, but if I must can deal with compiling from source for intermediate
>versions, etc.

Well you can't just "upgrade" 7.2.1 to 7.4.6. You have to dump and restore.
My suggestion would be to dump your 7.2.1 database and if you can use
the 7.4.6 pg_dump (from source). Then remove 7.2.1 and try and reinstall
7.4.6.
Once 7.4.6 is installed then restore your dump and you should be good to go.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>Thank you.
>
>Eric Nielsen
>
>----- Begin script output
>The postmaster did not start after postgresql was installed:
>
>Stopping PostgreSQL database server: postmasterpg_ctl: could not find
>/var/lib/postgres/data/postmaster.pid
>Is postmaster running?
>TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Вложения

От: Eric D Nielsen
Сообщение: PostGreSQL upgrade failed (Debian Packages), need advice...
От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: Moving/Using Postgres Binaries on multiple machines