Re: rmtree() failure on Windows

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: rmtree() failure on Windows
Дата
Re: rmtree() failure on Windows  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
problem area found. see below.

Reini Urban wrote:

> Andrew Dunstan schrieb:
>
>> Here is some more info. Below is a trace from dropdb. There is a loop
>> around the rmdir() calls which I have set to time out at 600 seconds.
>> The call eventually succeeds after around 300 seconds (I've seen this
>> several times). It looks like we are the victim of some caching - the
>> directory still thinks it has some of the files it has told us we
>> have deleted successfully.
>

> 300 secs (!) fs timeout is really broken.
> Looks more like a locking or network timeout issue.
> What error codes does unlink(3) return?

success.

> Why don't you use DeletFileA() instead of unlink()?
>
> Or even better, why don't you use this delete on close snippet instead:

[snip]

Before I tried anything like that I tried one more thing. I disabled the
background writer and the problem stopped. So now we know the "culprit".

> It should only happen a ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION on NT systems with
> such a long timeout. This is then a concurrency problem. win95 will
> not return ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION, only ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED

We don't support W95/W98/WME at all. The tests were done on XP-Pro.

cheers

andrew

От: ohp@pyrenet.fr
Сообщение: Re: Unixware 714 pthreads
От: Greg Stark
Сообщение: Re: plans for bitmap indexes?