Re: can't handle large number of INSERT/UPDATEs

От John Meinel
Тема Re: can't handle large number of INSERT/UPDATEs
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Tom Lane wrote:
> Curtis Zinzilieta <curtisz@norchemlab.com> writes:
>
>>On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>>Er ... it *is* the other way around.  bi is blocks in (to the CPU),
>>>bo is blocks out (from the CPU).
>

>>Ummm.....
>>[curtisz@labsoft T2]$ man vmstat
>>       bi: Blocks sent to a block device (blocks/s).
>>       bo: Blocks received from a block device (blocks/s).
>

> You might want to have a word with your OS vendor.  My vmstat
> man page says
>
>    IO
>        bi: Blocks received from a block device (blocks/s).
>        bo: Blocks sent to a block device (blocks/s).
>
> and certainly anyone who's been around a computer more than a week or
> two knows which direction "in" and "out" are customarily seen from.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Interesting. I checked this on several machines. They actually say
different things.

Redhat 9- bi: Blocks sent to a block device (blocks/s).
Latest Cygwin- bi: Blocks sent to a block device (blocks/s).
Redhat 7.x- bi: Blocks sent to a block device (blocks/s).
Redhat AS3- bi: blocks sent out to a block device (in blocks/s)

I would say that I probably agree, things should be relative to the cpu.
However, it doesn't seem to be something that was universally agreed
upon. Or maybe the man-pages were all wrong, and only got updated recently.

John
=:->

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: can't handle large number of INSERT/UPDATEs
Сообщение: Re: can't handle large number of INSERT/UPDATEs