Re: PostgreSQL in Windows console and Ctrl-C

От Christian Ullrich
Тема Re: PostgreSQL in Windows console and Ctrl-C
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* From: Amit Kapila

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Christian Ullrich
> <chris@chrullrich.net> wrote:

> > * From: Amit Kapila
> >> Do you mean to say use some existing environment variable?
> >> Introducing an environment variable to solve this issue or infact
> >> using some existing environ variable doesn't seem to be the best way
> >> to pass such information.
> >
> > I meant creating a new one, yes. If, say, PGSQL_BACKGROUND_JOB was
> > set, the postmaster etc. would ignore the events.
>
> Do you plan to reset it and if yes when?
> I think there is chance that after setting this environment variable,
> some other instance of server (postmaster) can read it and missed the
> signal which it should have otherwise processed.

We have decided not to go this way, but just for completeness:

Environment inheritance works the same way on Windows as on Unix. When
a process is started with a modified environment (one of the plentiful
arguments of CreateProcess() et al.), only that process and its
descendants see the modification. I had not planned to set a system-level
or user-level variable.

--
Christian