ResultSet.getBinaryStream nothing more than a ResultSet.getBytes() call?

От Jeffrey Tenny
Тема ResultSet.getBinaryStream nothing more than a ResultSet.getBytes() call?
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
I've been working to minimize the memory footprint of my application.
I was under the impression that ResultSet.getBinaryStream would be more
efficient than getBytes().  Certainly the documented semantics imply
that that is a goal (since you must process the InputStream from
getBinaryStream before the call to ResultSet.next() or even processing
the next column.

But the following trace from a java heap profile suggests
that we're still just copying the bytes from the resultset as with
getBytes() instead
of streaming the ones already in memory, though perhaps it's because
I'm using a read(buf) call on the stream.

Anybody got an authoritative answer?  Or if you point me at a 8.0DEV
driver tarball I'll look myself, but I don't run CVS and couldn't find a
tarball on gborg.

TRACE 18107:
org.postgresql.util.PGbytea.toBytes(PGbytea.java:29)
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.getBytes(AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.java:1986)
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.getBinaryStream(AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.java:2115)
org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingResultSet.getBinaryStream(DelegatingResultSet.java:221)

Thanks...